Thursday, October 30, 2008

BTRS Lap Quilt Is Done!

My quilt swap has been done for some time now, and according to the post office, Mary Ann received it this week. So it's now fair game to post. Here it is in all it's BTRS glory.


This was the first quilt I've ever sewn, and I'm sure it will not be the last. I'm hoping to make some again for Christmas; we'll see how busy November/December is. I really love the way it came out. The fabric choice was fabulous, and it really went together quickly. It is also much larger than the size listed in the book. I assume that's a good thing! I love the look of this quilt; it seems broken in and worn even though it's new. That's not to say that I didn't have a few issues.
  1. One of my fabrics was a stretch cord. Oh how I wanted to give that corduroy to the cat! Sewing the cord to the other woven fabrics left it all stretched out and some strips way longer than others. After washing the cord had pulled away from the other fabric in two spots. I topstitched these holes and then doused them with Fray Check. Crisis averted.
  2. If you remember, my machine died during this project. I wonder who was at fault; did the quilt kill the machine or did the machine kill the quilt? Not that the quilt is bad, just that the back is way wonkier than I'd like.
  3. The binding looks great when sewn by hand, but I hated how the two ends came together. Unable to send it to Mary Ann in that condition, I created a tag out of unbleached cotton and a quick freezer paper stencil. I sewed it right over the nasty binding spot, and am very happy with how that turned out. Before and after photos below. You can also spot the tag in the photo of the back.


What do you think?

2 comments:

The Hudson-Vadnais' said...

I love it so, so, so much. I got it yesterday evening! It's just beautifully put together, and your eye for how to put the different fabrics together was perfect. I'm so happy, and can't stop looking at it! Thank you--and I love the tag, it makes it a nice keepsake.

I wish I had remembered that the corduroy from my stash was stretch (but I should have known, stretch is a vital quality when making mama-skirts and baby pants)--you obviously tackled it beautifully.

I can't wait to send your quilt! You curated such a pretty set of fabrics, and it was fun to make. I'm with you--this was a neat project and there may be some lucky Christmas quilt receivers in my future.

:) Mary Ann

Anonymous said...

Hi - I keep searching the Flickr group for *my* quilt (sniff) and I keep seeing this one and how beautiful it is! I know you didn't pick the fabrics, but you did a really nice job putting them together, especially for your first BTRS lap quilt. I love your tag too! I wanted to do something like that but ended up just writing on the back with permanent fabric marker.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails