Tuesday, September 16, 2008

Caramel Layers

Fall is in the air at the Cultivated house; cooler temps, richer food, warmer clothes. The real benchmark for fall arrived last week- the Starbucks Pumpkin Spice Latte. Anyone know where I can find a good pumpkin syrup other than the black market Sbux jugs on ebay? Anyone?

Anyways... one of my favorite things about fall is the sweet treats. Some with cinnamon, some with caramel, some with apples. These are the things that make fall. This week I've made Caramel Layers twice. Once for our staff luncheon this weekend and then again yesterday at the request of a co-worker. These are my absolute favorite dessert; salty and sweet, crumbly and smooth.


Caramel Layers

1 C + 2 T flour
1/4 tsp salt
1/4 tsp baking soda
1/2 C brown sugar
3/4 C quick cooking oats ( not cooked)
1/2 C butter
1 C caramel bits (found near the chocolate chips) -OR- 24 caramels
2 T cream
1/2 C chocolate chips

Mix 1 cup flour, salt, soda, brown sugar and oats. Cut in butter until particles are fine. [I do this in the food processor. Takes less than 30 seconds.] Reserve 1 Cup. Press remaining mixture into bottom of greased 8 inch baking pan. Bake at 350 for 10 minutes. Do not overbake!

Combine Caramels and cream on top of double boiler till melted. Blend in 2T Flour. Spread over base. Sprinkle with chocolate chips then remaining crumb mixture. Bake 12 to 15 minutes. Again, do not overbake!

Let cool and cut into bars. So good!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

They look delicious. I'll have to try to make them some time this week. Last night I was able to put the oven on for a while and make some yummy cookies, which reminds me that I need to post the recipe on my blog.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails